Monday 23 July 2012

Heaven on Earth

After weeks and weeks of rain we finally have some glorious weather. I had been wanting to take some photographs of  St Peter's Church in Boughton Monchelsea, Kent,  which is just a mile or so from where I live. It really is the most stunningly beautiful place, with views to die for (pardon the pun) The church and graveyard overlook the Kentish Weald and it is one of my favourite places to sit, there is always a heavenly breeze on hot days like today and had to drag myself away from this glorious spot. St Peter's was built on the site of a Roman Temple and parts of the church including the Lynchgate date from 1470 and is one of the oldest in the country. I ran my hands over the ancient wood of the Lynchgate and imagined all the people that had passed through it. I find graveyards hauntingly beautiful, the lives of unknown people engraved on the headstones are enormously moving to me. I sat on a bench with a plaque dedicated to a 22 year old girl who had passed, she loved the place and wanted other people to enjoy the peace and breathtaking views, a life so short yet I sensed so happy. I thought about my own parents and those dear to me that have passed, I felt comforted by the serenity and feeling of peace that overwhelmed me, it really is  heaven on earth.
I hope you enjoy the photographs I have taken and are able to see what a heavenly place it is.










She must have been a very special person







































1 comment:

  1. Stunningly beautiful darling....say we will visit when I come to see you. The music from Indecent Porposal was playing while I was looking at your beautiful photos and I had such a great sense of peace. You are blessed to live in such a beautiful country. xoxo, Paulette

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...